I have communicated privately with Alan and Andrew and want to repeat a
few points that I made to them to the list:
1) I welcome Alan's and Andrew's comments about the project. We will have
to consider and re-consider what we want to accomplish and how as we proceed.
2) Their concern that we attempt to set ourselves practical goals (and I
would add, timetables) is an important concern that we will have to
3) We *will* have to re-consider the best procedure for moving forward
after we complete the "brainstorming" (this was part of the procedural
proposal from last Friday).
4) There is space on ope-l for all to address the concerns that they
think need to be addressed. Alan and Andrew want to more explicitly
discuss value and critique. I assure them that they will have
opportunities to make their thoughts on these subjects known to the list.
5) We must all take more responsibility for guiding ope-l. Alan's
"mega-posts" were a step in that direction. I welcome his comment that he
will make a extended contribution on value. I believe that longer posts
will allow us to more thoroughly and meaningfully discuss issues.
6) We are all going to have to learn from each other and be *really*
willing to *listen* to each other. We have made some important strides in
this direction already. More will be needed.
7) On a personal note, I must say that the demands of ope-l are becoming
truly overwhelming. I will need assistance and input from all of you.
In OPE-L Solidarity,