[OPE-L:2997] RE: Re: RE: Re: Defining accumulation

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 08:52:12 EDT

Paul C makes a fair point - it wasn't a very good example.

Try this instead -- take a cotton-spinning enterprise which has

(a) spare capacity

(b) at the end of a day's work

(i) enough cotton inventory to sustain tomorrow's production at the present
level
(ii) yarn which is sold realising surplus value of 100

(c) plans to increase output the day after tomorrow.

The planned output increase will require an increase in capital advanced of
100.

Rather than buy the extra inventory required now, the managers put the 100
in the bank for a day.

What's the status of the 100 while it's in the bank?

Julian